How to Select the Satisfactory/ Unsatisfactory (S/U) Grade Option
Graduate students, find out about the requirements for an S/U (Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory) grade option.
Make sure you understand the S/U grading option.
Facts about S/U:
- Only graduate students can choose the S/U grade option. (Undergraduates, read about the P/NP grade option.)
- You must opt for S/U by the end of the 4th week of classes.
- An S indicates the equivalent of a B- or better.
- You can choose S/U for classes that are either S/U permitted or S/U only.
With the approval of your department and the instructor, you can:
- Take any undergraduate class or any graduate class outside your major department on an S/U basis.
- Take any class on an S/U basis if you have advanced to candidacy for your Ph.D. degree.
Read the Academic Senate policy on grades.
Follow these steps if you decide to take a class S/U.
- Check with your department to make sure you're selecting the correct grade option for your required classes.
- Select the S/U option on WebReg when you enroll in the class.
If you have questions, contact: