Billing Questions and Disputes
Learn how to resolve questions or disputes regarding charges on your student account.
Contact the department responsible for the charge:
First, contact the department office and ask how you should proceed:
- Bookstore, (858) 534-7326
- Cashier's Office, (858) 534-3725
- Financial Aid Office, (858) 534-4480
- Housing Office, (858) 534-4010
- Library, (858) 534-3339
- Parking Office, (858) 534-4223
- Registrar's Office, (858) 534-3150
- Student Health, (858) 534-3150
- Summer Session Office, (858) 534-5258
- TritonPlus Office, (858) 534-7587
If you don't know which department assessed the charge, contact Student Business Services (SBS), (858) 822-4727.
If necessary, set up an administrative hearing:
- If you still dispute the charge after talking with the department, contact SBS, (858) 822-4727, to discuss an administrative hearing.
- An administrative hearing is an informal proceeding without attorneys, and the technical rules of evidence do not apply.
- Disputed charges under $200 are reviewed by an impartial University representative.
- Disputed charges over $200 are reviewed by a three-person committee, including a student body representative.
- You must be registered during the current or previous quarter to request a hearing.
- The charge will be placed on hold, and the University will take no collection action or sanction until a ruling is rendered.
- You can present witnesses and documentary evidence.
- You can question the representative of the department that placed the charge.
- The representative or committee will render a decision after the hearing regarding either the total or a portion of the debt. SBS will notify you and the department of the decision.
- If you are found to owe any charges, you must pay within 30 days after the ruling or SBS will take action to collect the debt.