Financial Aid: How to File a Budget Add-On Appeal
Follow the steps below to file a financial aid appeal based on unexpected expenses.
Unexpected expenses can occur despite careful planning of your academic year budget. If you incur certain costs above the expenses shown on UCSD's estimated budgets and costs of attendance, the Financial Aid Office may be able to add them to your budget and cover them with student loans, based on availability of funds. On occasion, other types of funding may be available, including work study and some grants.
Inform the Financial Aid Office of these "special circumstances" as soon as possible to make sure you receive the best possible financial aid package.
The Financial Aid Office can consider these factors if they occur during your current academic year:
- Books, supplies, and tutorial costs
- Child care
- Computer purchase (computer may be purchased just prior to the school year)
- Medical/ dental/ optical insurance
- Rent and utilities, including costs for campus family housing
- Specialized supplies and equipment for UCSD classes
- Transportation costs, including car payments, insurance, and non-routine major repairs
- Select the appropriate PDF form below, or ask the Financial Aid Office, (858) 534-4480, to mail a form to you.
- Follow the instructions carefully and thoroughly.
- Submit the appeal form and any required documentation to the Financial Aid Office, Student Services Center, 3rd floor north (or mail to 9500 Gilman Drive, Mail Code 0013, La Jolla, CA 92093-0013).
- All submitted documentation becomes the property of the Financial Aid Office and will not be returned. Photocopies are accepted, but you may later be asked to provide original documents. The Financial Aid Office cannot make photocopies of your request or your original documents.
The Financial Aid Office will review the request and notify you of its decision via e-mail.