About Veterans Benefits
Learn about financial aid available to veterans and their families.
Important news for veterans:
- Veterans may apply for the Post-9/11 GI Bill (effective August 1, 2009). Read more about this GI Bill and other federal veterans benefits available at UCSD.
- Effective July 1, 2009, federal veterans educational benefits are not considered a resource in determining financial aid eligibility. This means that financial aid packages will not be reduced by the amount of your veterans benefits. This applies to all GI Bills for veterans, their spouses, and their dependents, but not to state veteran benefits, including the California College Fee Waiver. If you're a veteran and need financial assistance, see specific veterans information below, or learn more about applying for other types of financial aid.
Facts about veterans benefits:
- A veteran is a person who served on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces and was released under an honorable condition. (See the FAFSA for a more detailed definition.)
- The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), not UCSD, determines your eligibility for veterans education benefits.
- The Registrar's Office helps you take full advantage of the programs, services, and benefits available by:
- Processing your paperwork for VA claims so you'll receive your payments on time
- Certifying your student enrollment for the VA
- Preparing the necessary forms for unit or address changes
- Stop by the Registrar's Office for assistance so you receive your benefit claims as soon as possible.
Types of veterans benefits:
How to apply:
Apply for benefits at the Veteran Affairs website.
Once you've applied and been approved to receive your educational benefits from the VA, and you've enrolled in your classes, you must complete the enrollment verification e-form.
This form is required by the VA, and must be submitted on a quarterly basis and/or if you make changes to your schedule or withdraw from the term.
You'll be asked to read and understand the UC San Diego VA Notification of Requirements (PDF) when you submit your completed e-form.
More VA education benefit information: