About Student Organization Principal Members
Find out about the responsibilities of principal members of registered student organizations at UCSD.
Principal members of student organizations should know the following information:
- To register a student organization, the university requires at least 4 full-time, registered UCSD students as principal members. Your organization can choose to have up to 8 principal members.
- Your principal members determine your type of group. Your group is considered:
- An undergraduate organization and eligible for Associated Students funding if 100% of the principal members are undergraduates.
- A graduate organization and eligible for Graduate Student Association funding if 50% or more of the principal members are graduate students.
- A combined organization if at least 1 but fewer than 50% of the principal members are graduate students. Combined student organizations are not eligible for AS or GSA funding but may seek funding from other university sources.
- Organizations must update their registration information when a principal member changes, or when the address or phone number of any of principal members changes. This can be done by logging into the organization's primary information page. They must also keep a current permanent summer mailing address on file with the Center for Student Involvement.
- Only registered principal members can conduct official business with the university, including submitting events through TAP, reserving facilities, accessing budget numbers, and spending student organization funds.
- Principal members assume full responsibility for obtaining applicable event liability waivers from event participants.
- Principal members assume full responsibility for the student organization's financial status, actions, and programs.
- Each principal member accepts individual and joint responsibility for the administration and use of any and all funds, in compliance with all applicable UCSD policies. This includes any and all funding requests submitted by any principal member on behalf of the registered student organization.
- Principal members must understand that student organizations may not be used as a conduit for personal financial gain or for the establishment of personal business.