How to Register or Re-Register a Student Organization
Form and register a student organization at UC San Diego by following the steps below. Watch the informational Org Registration Video here.
Complete these steps in preparation for registering your organization:
- Choose a name. See info (PDF) about using UCSD in your name and duplicate organization names.
- Determine whether your group is a graduate, undergraduate, or combined student organization. See About Student Organization Principal Members to help you decide.
- Select 4 to 8 currently registered UCSD students who will be principal members of the organization. You will need their e-mail addresses, and they will need to complete tasks (including taking the tutorial/quiz below) for your group to complete the registration process.
- Select an off-campus, permanent mailing address for summer correspondence.
- Determine the purpose and category of your organization. Check your specific registration category requirements for any applicable prerequisites, including type of community advisor, rosters, insurance, other documents, or special meetings.
- Find out if your organization needs a community advisor (see criteria). If so, ask a staff, faculty, or community member who is not part of the Center for Student Involvement to view the Community Advisor Training powerpoint and complete and return the Community Advisor Signature Page to the CSI office. Community advisors are encouraged for all registration categories.
- Develop or review your organization's constitution. Make sure it includes the required 6 elements. Renewing organizations may view their constitution during re-registration. See constitution guidelines(PDF).
- Select one principal member to complete the online registration process (see the tutorial/quiz step below). That member will also send e-mail invitations to the other principal members so they can complete their part of the process.
Complete the online registration process and submit relevant documents (if required for your category). You will need your official UCSD e-mail address and single sign-on password to log in.
Note: Any of the following may change your organization's status from 'current' to 'pending' until updated by your CSI advisor:
- The number of principal members falls below the required minimum of 4.
- A new constitution has been uploaded.
- Changes in 'purpose of organization' and ‘category' can only be done by your CSI advisor.
Recreation clubs only: All of your principal members must complete the online registration quiz and the Principles of Community training, and one of your principal members must attend an orientation session just for recreation clubs.
Rec club orientation dates for Fall 2012
All orientation sessions will be held in the Rec Conference Room, RIMAC, 4th floor:
- Wednesday, Oct. 3, 12:30–2:00 p.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 11, 2:00–3:30 p.m.
- Recreation clubs MUST be registered by the end of Fall quarter - additional clubs will not be considered after that time.
- See the Recreation Club Policies for important information about additional requirements for Rec Clubs
See how many answers you can get right! In order to complete your registration, each principal member must take the Student Org Tutorial and Quiz. Some of the areas that will be covered are:
- Principal member responsibilities
- Organizational and planning resources
- Marketing strategies
- TAP information
Take the quiz.
- All online information is entered and your constitution is uploaded.
- All principal members have accepted their invitations and entered all required information online.
- All principal members have taken the registration quiz and signed the electronic Principal Member Agreement.
- Your community advisor signature page has been turned in to the CSI Office (if applicable).
- All required rosters, evidence of insurance, and liability release forms have been submitted (if applicable).
- You receive a confirmation e-mail from your CSI advisor indicating all tasks have been finalized
Returning organizations must renew their registration each academic year to be valid.