Language and Writing Program
The OASIS Language and Writing Program (LWP) includes free individual tutoring sessions and workshops for:
- All registered undergraduate students for whom English is not their first language
- All students enrolled in SDCC 1 and SDCC 4, regardless of their first language
- Students in some foreign language classes
The OASIS Language and Writing Program offers services in a wide range of disciplines, with emphasis on the Six College writing programs.
- Weekly workshops for students enrolled in SDCC 1 or 4, which generally include composition, text analysis, grammar, and practice of writing as you prepare for the ELWR exam.
- Weekly workshops for DOC (TMC writing sequence), where you'll discuss reading, analyze text, and review the steps involved in argumentative/ analytical writing.
- Individual tutoring provided by knowledgeable, highly trained tutors who have already taken the class or specialize in a given discipline.
- Individual grammar sessions.
- Assistance during the entire writing process from interpreting a prompt to polishing a final draft.
- Verbal and writing practice sessions in some foreign languages.
Sign up for a workshop
To apply for SDCC and /or DOC workshops:
- Come to OASIS (Center Hall, 3rd floor) and visit the LWP Lobby (enter OASIS doors E&F) to pick up an application.
- Check out the workshop times during week 10 of every quarter (for the following quarter).
- Complete a workshop application during week 1 of every quarter (for current quarter).
- Be sure to bring a copy of your current weekly schedule to help you accurately fill out the workshop application(s).
- All LWP workshops begin week 2 of fall, winter, and spring quarters.
- Mandatory weekly attendance is expected once you've been admitted into a workshop.
- If you do not adhere to the attendance policy, you'll be dropped from the workshop, and any students on a waiting list may be added.
- Students will not be added into workshops after the 4th week of instruction.
Sign up for tutoring
Invididual tutoring begins week 2 of fall, winter, and spring quarters.
Use the form below to submit your request online at least one week before the dates you'd like to meet with a tutor. Tutoring availability varies daily within our standard business hours of 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.