UC San Diego SearchMenu

How to Declare a Double Major (Undergraduates)

If you're an undergraduate and you want to declare a double major, follow these steps:

About double majors

  • You can count lower-division courses toward both majors.
  • You can't choose two majors within the School of Engineering or within a single department.

Declare a double major

1. Make sure you meet the requirements.

  • To declare a double major, you must:
    • Have completed at least 90 units and no more than 135 units
    • Have completed a majority of the prerequisites for both majors
    • Be able to satisfy the requirements for BOTH majors, including 10 upper-division courses (40 units) unique to each major
    • Be able to complete the 2 majors in no more than 240 units
    • Meet with both departments or programs and your college to discuss your academic plan

Read the Academic Senate policy on double majors (A-3).

2. Obtain and complete a Double Major Petition.

    1. Print a Double Major Petition (PDF) or obtain a petition from your college academic advising office.
    2. Complete and attach:
      • The Double Major Worksheet, a quarter-by-quarter planning tool (available with the petition)
      • A brief statement of purpose (your reason for completing 2 majors)

3. Submit the petition.

    1. Take your petition to the department advisor for each major and obtain their signatures.
    2. Submit the petition to your college academic advising office.

4. Check the status of your petition.

    1. Pick up the student copy of the petition at your college academic advising office.
    2. Look in your Academic History to confirm that both majors appear online. Allow 5 working days for processing after approval by the college.