About Basic Writing classes
- You can enroll in San Diego Community College 1 (SDCC 1) if you took but did not pass the Analytical Writing Placement Exam.
- If you're designated as an English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) student, enroll in SDCC 4 during the regular academic term.
- The San Diego Community College (SDCC) basic writing courses are held at UCSD.
- This course and grade will not appear on your UCSD transcript except as workload credit (i.e., units attempted and units completed).
- Your basic writing class grade will not count toward your GPA.
- To fulfill the writing requirement, you must complete a basic writing class with a minimum C grade.
Enrolling in the class
- To fulfill the writing requirement during the summer, enroll in Basic Writing.
- Enroll in Basic Writing via WebReg the summer before you begin classes at UCSD.
- You must complete the class with a minimum grade of C.
- To fulfill the writing requirement during the academic year, enroll in SDCC 1.
- Enroll in SDCC 1 via WebReg.
- After open enrollment, adds and drops are handled by the Basic Writing office.
- Complete the class with a minimum grade of C.
- SDCC 1 students have 3 quarters to satisfy the requirement.
- If you enroll in an SDCC 1 or SDCC 4 class and miss the first 2 class meetings, you will be dropped from the class, and you will not be able to enroll in the course until the following quarter.
Note to ESOL students: you may enroll in SDCC 4 for a maximum of three quarters. Once you begin SDCC 1, you have 3 quarters to satisfy the requirement.
Filing an Appeal
If you fail the Basic Writing course and believe the results do not accurately reflect your writing skills, file an appeal.