About Basic Writing classes
- You may enroll in ELWR 1 (Entry Level Writing Requirement 1) if you took, and did not
pass the Analytical Writing Placement Exam (AWPE).
- If you are designated as an English Language Learner (ELL) student, enroll in ELWR 2A. You will then enroll in ELWR 2B in the subsequent quarter.
- This course and grade will appear on your UCSD transcript as workload credit.
- Your ELWR class grade will not be factored into your GPA.
- To fulfill the ELWR, you must complete an ELWR class with a minimum course grade of C or better.
Enrolling in the class
- To fulfill the writing requirement during the summer, enroll in ELWR 1.
- Enroll in ELWR 1 via WebReg the summer before you begin classes at UCSD.
- You must complete the ELWR class with a minimum course grade of C or better
- To fulfill the writing requirement during the academic year, enroll in ELWR 1.
- Enroll in ELWR 1 via WebReg.
- After open enrollment, adds and drops are handled by the Basic Writing office.
- Complete the class with a minimum grade of C or better.
- If you enroll in an ELWR 1, ELWR 2A, or ELWR 2B class and miss the first 2 class
meetings, you will be dropped from the class, and you will not be able to enroll in
the course until the following quarter.
- ELWR 1 students have 3 quarters to fulfill the ELWR.
Note to ELL students: you may enroll in ELWR 2A-2B only once. Once you begin ELWR 1, you have 3 quarters to satisfy the requirement.
Filing an appeal
Because the portfolio determines the final course grade, any appeal regarding the portfolio assessment must follow the regulations as articulated by the university.
How to appeal a grade.
If you have questions, please contact the appropriate resource:
- Basic Writing Office, (858) 534-6177
- Your college