UC Scholars Program
The UC Scholars Program is a 8-week, full-time research experience for undergraduates, supported by UCSD Student Affairs.
- Provide students with the skills to become research scholars
- Stimulate students' serious consideration of graduate study
- Increase learning and networking opportunities for students committed to pursuing either a professional or academic research career.
Program dates and deadlines
- 2014 program dates: June 23, 2014 through August 16, 2014
- 2014 program application deadline: February 18, 2014, 10 a.m. Pacific time
- Be a full-time UCSD undergraduate student. All majors are welcome. International Students currently attending UCSD are welcome to apply.
- Have completed at least 90 units by the end of Spring Quarter 2014.
- Not have graduated before the end of the program (August 16, 2014).
- Not take any outside classes or work during the 8 week duration of the program.
- Be in San Diego for the 8 weeks of the program.
Applicants must also have:
- A cumulative G.P.A. of 2.8 or above; and
- A serious interest in pursuing a Ph.D.(including combined Ph.D. programs, such as M.D./Ph.D.)
- A $2,800 stipend for the 8-week program
- On-campus housing or a board allowance
- GRE training courses
- 30 hours of research a week
- 199 (independent study) credit (tuition is paid for by the program)
Research projects are designed and supervised by faculty mentors in conjunction with students' research interests. The program activities are substantial, requiring a full-time commitment from each student (students cannot work, take classes, participate in any other summer research program, or go on vacation while in the program).
Attendance at meetings and seminars is mandatory.
Each student will be asked to write a research abstract, proposal and paper, presenting his or her paper in the form of a PowerPoint presentation at the UCSD Summer Research Conference.
Students are expected to comply with the:
- UCSD Code of Conduct
- Safety rules and regulations of research laboratories where they work
- GRE preparation course rules
- Mentoring procedures set forth by the UCSD Amgen Scholars Program faculty and staff
Each UC Scholars Program application is considered complete only when it includes all 3 mandatory components:
- Online application narrative,
- Copy of transcripts (unofficial are OK), and
- Letter of recommendation.
Only completed applications, including transcripts and letter of recommendation, submitted by February 18, 2014, 10 a.m. Pacific time, will be considered for evaluation and scoring.
Use the online application form to apply now.
If you have any questions regarding the application, contact:
Karen Van Ness, Program Coordinator, at (858) 534-5791