UCSD Bicycle and Skate Guidelines
UCSD bicycle and skate regulations, enforced by the UCSD Police Department, apply to the use of bicycles, skateboards, rollerskates, rollerblades, scooters, and similar devices.
- Bikes and skates are prohibited:
- Weekdays 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on main outdoor walkways, e.g., Library Walk and Ridgewalk
- In all buildings
- On the decks of Mandeville Center
- Where signs restricting such activity are posted
- Do not operate bikes or skates at excessive speeds or in a reckless or unsafe manner.
- Park your bike so it:
- Doesn't impede vehicle or pedestrian traffic
- Doesn't block access to sidewalks, access ramps, parking lots, landscaped areas, doors, handrails, etc.
- Is locked to a designated bike rack, not to a signpost, telephone pole, lamppost, or other object
- Do not exceed a speed of 8 mph on shared-use paths.
- Display your bike license and renewal sticker facing forward on the bike frame below the bike seat.
- Always lock your bike, even for "just a minute."
- Lock your bike to a fixed, legal device such as a bike rack.
- Lock your bike in a visible, well-lit location.
- Use a U-shaped lock.
- If you use cables or chains to lock your bike, make sure they're heavy duty and can't be cut easily.
- Don't lock the wheels of your bike to a bike rack; thieves often leave a wheel and steal the rest of the bike.
- Register your bicycle. To register your bike with the state of California, visit the the UCSD Bike Shop located in Student Center A, weekdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Registration fee is $6.
- Ride with the flow of traffic.
- Approach intersections and turns with caution.
- Stop at stop signs.
- Use hand signals.
- Make eye contact with drivers.
- Use lights at night.
- Use proper gear, including a helmet, bright clothing, reflectors, and lights
- Yield right-of-way to pedestrians.
- Slow down on shared-use walkways.
- To retrieve your impounded bike, contact the Bicycle Enforcement Officer at (858) 534-7335. An impound fee of $10 will be charged.
- Faculty, staff, and students who commute by bicycle are eligible for free occasional use permits and other benefits through the UCSD Pedal Club.
For more information, see Police Department Contacts