UC San Diego SearchMenu

Billing Questions and Disputes

Learn how to resolve questions or disputes regarding charges on your student account.

Contact the department responsible for the charge:

First, contact the department office and ask how you should proceed:

If you don't know which department assessed the charge, contact Student Financial Solutions (SFS): (858) 822-4727.

If necessary, set up an administrative hearing:

  1. If you still dispute the charge after talking with the department, contact Student Financial Solutions: (858) 822-4727, to discuss an administrative hearing.
    • An administrative hearing is an informal proceeding without attorneys, and the technical rules of evidence do not apply.
      • Disputed charges under $200 are reviewed by an impartial University representative.
      • Disputed charges over $200 are reviewed by a three-person committee, including a student body representative.
    • You must be registered during the current or previous quarter to request a hearing.
    • The charge will be placed on hold, and the University will take no collection action or sanction until a ruling is rendered.
    • You can present witnesses and documentary evidence.
    • You can question the representative of the department that placed the charge.
    • The representative or committee will render a decision after the hearing regarding either the total or a portion of the debt. Student Financial Solutions will notify you and the department of the decision.
  2. If you are found to owe any charges, you must pay within 30 days after the ruling, or Student Financial Solutions will take action to collect the debt.