UC San Diego SearchMenu

Filing a Financial Aid Appeal

Learn how to file an appeal to change the information you provided on your FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application.

If your financial circumstances change after you've filed your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or CA Dream Act Application, you can file an appeal with UCSD. If approved, the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office may be able to adjust:

  • Your cost of attendance
  • Your expected family contribution
  • Your award (although all awards are subject to availability of funds)


Inform the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office of these "special circumstances" as soon as possible to make sure you receive the best possible financial aid package.

You can submit several types of appeals:

  1. A special circumstances/ loss of income appeal is based on a change in your family's expected contribution due to a reduction in income as a result of divorce, major medical expenses, or other factors. See how to file a special circumstances appeal.
  2. A budget add-on appeal is based on costs you incur beyond those in the standard UCSD budget, such as books and supplies, child care, transportation, a new computer, a rent increase, and more. See how to file a budget add-on appeal.
  3. Additionally, you may inquire about Satisfactory Academic Progress appeals or appeals for on time funding if you miss a financial aid deadline. Our counseling staff will work with you to determine if either of these appeals apply to you. Please contact us for further information. We are here to help you access financial aid at UCSD.