UC San Diego SearchMenu

Financial Aid: Enrollment Requirements for Undergraduates

Learn how your enrollment affects the disbursement of various types of undergraduate financial aid.

To receive financial aid, you must be enrolled in at least 6 units per quarter and 6 units during Summer Session. Before the start of the Fall Quarter you must have met the Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards for the academic year.

Other facts about financial aid and enrollment:

  • Wait-listed units don't count toward your quarter total.
  • UCSD verifies your enrolled units each quarter before disbursing financial aid funds into your student account.
  • UCSD re-verifies your enrolled units at the end of each quarter's add period.
  • You may be required to repay previously disbursed aid if you reduce your units to less than 12 units per quarter.
  • Approved part-time study: Your fees and tuition will be reduced if you're approved for part-time study. This also results in financial aid reduction which may require you to repay previously disbursed aid.

Read more about specific types of financial aid that have additional enrollment requirements:

  • Pell Grant and Cal Grant

    These grant amounts are reduced if you're enrolled in less than 12 units. Pell Grants and Cal Grant stipends pay according to the number of enrolled units:

    • 6–8 units = 1/2 of the award amount
    • 9–11 units = 3/4 of the award amount
    • 12+ units = full award amount
  • Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans and Federal Direct PLUS Loans

    These loan funds are based on your actual number of enrolled units at the time of disbursement.

    • You must be enrolled in at least 6 units at the time the loan funds are disbursed to your UCSD student account.
  • Summer Session financial aid (any type)

    To be eligible for Summer Session financial aid, you must enroll in at least 8 quarter units in one UCSD Summer Session or a combination of sessions.

    If you're attending other UC summer sessions, you must enroll in at least 8 quarter units, with the exception of UC Berkeley and UC Merced where you must enroll in at least 6 semester units.

    If you're enrolled in multiple sessions, your aid will be divided among the sessions.

    If your enrollment changes after you've been awarded summer aid, it may affect the amount of your summer eligibility, and as a result:

    • Your aid disbursements may be canceled.
    • You may have to repay aid you've already received.

    Read more about financial aid for summer sessions.