UC San Diego SearchMenu

Financial Aid: Eligibility Requirements for Undergraduates

Learn what you need to do to be eligible to receive and keep undergraduate financial aid.


Undergraduate Student Eligibility Requirements

  • Be enrolled and admitted to a degree program at UCSD.

    • If you're in your 1st through 18th quarter of undergraduate study, you'll be considered for all funding.
    • If you’re in your 19th quarter of undergraduate study, you’ll be considered for any remaining federal funding you may have available:
      • Federal Pell grants, Direct loans, Parent PLUS loans, and alternative (private educational) loans
    • If you're enrolled as a "limited status" student (returning to UCSD after graduation), you may be eligible for limited funding:
      • Up to $5,500 in Federal Direct loan eligibility for up to one 12-month period
    Visit or contact the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office to complete the required forms.

  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen.

    You're eligible if you're a:

    • U.S. citizen
    • U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa and Swain's Island).
    • U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551 or I-551C (Alien Registration Receipt Card).
    • Conditional permanent resident with a Conditional Green Card (I-551C).
    • Student who has an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the INS with one of the following designations:
      • Refugee
      • Asylum Granted
      • Indefinite Parole and/or Humanitarian Parole
      • Cuban-Haitian Entrant (Status Pending)
      • Conditional Entrant (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)

    You are not eligible for federal financial aid if:

    • You have only a Notice to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464)
    • You're in the United States on an F1 or F2 student visa only
    • You're in the United States on an J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa only
    • You have a G-series visa
  • Have a valid Social Security number.

    The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office will verify your Social Security number with the U.S. Social Security Administration.

  • Be in good standing with satisfactory academic progress.

    Note: The requirements for satisfactory academic progress for financial aid recipients may differ from the requirements for UCSD's minimum progress policy.

    You must maintain progress toward a degree to receive and remain eligible for financial aid.

  • Not be in default on federal education loans, or owe any federal grant money to any institution.

    "Default" means a failure to make loan payments or otherwise honor a loan's terms. Loan defaults are reported to credit bureaus and can influence future credit and your ability to receive financial aid.

  • Register with the Selective Service, if you are male.

    If you're a male U.S. citizen (or eligible noncitizen) between the ages of 18 and 26, you must register with the Selective Service. Register in one of the following ways:

    • Register online.
    • Obtain a registration form from your high school or any U.S. post office.
    • Register via your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
  • Be enrolled in the required number of units for each type of aid received.

    Before funds can be disbursed, most types of aid require enrollment in at least 6 units per quarter and 6 units during Summer Session.

    • Read more about UCSD's Undergraduate Enrollment Requirements and how they affect various types of financial aid and the amount you'll receive.
    • Some awards may be pro-rated or not disbursed at all if you're not enrolled full time.