UC San Diego SearchMenu

Grants for Graduate/ Professional School

Review a list of grants available to graduate and professional school students, and learn how to apply for them.


  • File your FAFSA each year to be considered for Cal Grant for Education Students Program (EDS) which is based on financial need.
  • Submit any additional documents requested by the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office.
  • Any other application requirements are listed below, under each specific grant type. Each type of grant may have its own eligibility requirements.
  • The grant amounts listed below are estimates, and depend on available funding.

Grant types and details:

Expand all

Fellowships, scholarships, stipends, and fee awards

Annual amount: Varies

Funded by: Your graduate department or an outside source

How to apply: Contact your graduate department or the Graduate Division.

Cal Grant for Education Studies Program (EDS)

Amount: $12,192 maximum for Cal Grant A renewals; $12,192 + $1,551maximum for Cal Grant B renewals

Funded by: State of California (California Student Aid Commission)

Note: Amounts are set by the State government and are subject to change at any time. You must be enrolled full-time (12 or more units) to receive the full grant award.

Who's eligible: If you're a Cal Grant A or B recipient who plans to enroll in UCSD's EDS program, you may be eligible for a renewal of your Cal Grant for an additional year, if you meet the following requirements:

  • You accepted and enrolled in the EDS program within 15 months of the end of the term in which you received your last Cal Grant payment
  • You're seeking your initial teaching credential
  • You're not using the grant money for other graduate-level courses of study

How to apply:

  1. File your FAFSA and provide any requested documents before the deadlines.
  2. Submit a Request for Cal Grant Teaching Credential Program Benefits (form G-44) available from the California Student Aid Commission.

More information:

If you're enrolled in less than 12 units, you'll receive a reduced amount of the Cal Grant award:

  • 6-8 units = 1/2 the amount
  • 9-11 units = 3/4 the amount
  • 12+ units = the full amount

For more information on Cal Grants and other EDS-specific programs, see a list of other EDS assistance programs (PDF).

Expand all