Sponsored students are those students who are enrolled at UC San Diego, and require UCSD to bill an outside agency (public or private sector sponsor including: military agency, educational institution, and international embassy) for tuition and mandatory fees.
Agency payments made directly to a student, or reimbursements to a student, are not considered third-party agreements.
Student Business Services prepares and sends bills for tuition and mandatory fees, maintains agency and undergraduate student third-party accounts, and handles all correspondence regarding third-party agreements.
As a student with a third-party agreement, you are responsible for providing Student Business Services with the third-party authorization or government training voucher before the payment due date. (For the payment schedule by quarter, please see Enrollment & Registration Calendar.)
In addition, you must complete the Sponsor Direct Billing Authorization and Release form and ensure that any remaining balance not covered by your sponsor is paid by the appropriate deadline.
Payment not made by the appropriate deadline will be subject to Enrollment and Registration Late Fees up to $100.00.
The third-party authorization may be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or faxed to 858-822-2314.
The form can also be mailed to:
University of California, San Diego
Student Business Services
Attn: Third Party Coordinator
Student Services Center
9500 Gilman Drive #0026
La Jolla, CA 92093-0026
Or submitted in person:
UCSD Student Business Services
Student Services Center, Third Floor South (map)
There is no standard third-party authorization form. For example, some agencies provide a letter on business letterhead stating what they are willing to pay. Others may provide a formal contract. Regardless of the format, all authorizations are considered contractual agreements, and the following information must be included in order to for the request to be processed:
- Student's name
- Student's account number (University PID)
- Beginning date and ending date of the sponsorship (Note: Student Business Services can only accept sponsorship letters for one academic year)
- Specific charges and academic quarters the sponsor will pay. (Note: Student Business Services will not bill your agency for housing, meal plans, books, parking, application fees, or late fees.)
- Agency billing address
- Name, signature and contact information of person authorizing the contract
- Purchase order number (for government contracts)
A credit should appear on your student account within 2-5 business days following Student Business Services receipt of the contract. The credit indicates that Student Business Services has advanced payment on your behalf in anticipation of the receipt of funds from your sponsoring agency. The credit on your account does not mean that the University has received the actual payment.
An agency with a past due balance may have its billing privileges terminated. Students should be aware that they are ultimately responsible for any defaults in payments by the sponsoring agency.
It is the student's responsibility to ensure their account balance is current. Any balance that remains unpaid by the appropriate deadline may result in a hold being placed on the account as well as late fees. This hold may prevent future sponsorship credit from being applied to the account.
- The tuition rates and fees website contains fee information per quarter for your reference: https://students.ucsd.edu/finances/fees/registration/index.html
- If your sponsor is providing you with qualifying health insurance coverage, you must waive the university health insurance to avoid being billed. To waive out of University Health Insurance, you must complete the Health Fee Waiver on TritonLink. For more information, visit the Student Health Services Website: https://wellness.ucsd.edu/studenthealth/insurance/waive-uc-ship/Pages/default.aspx. (Note: a health insurance waiver must be completed every academic year, by the deadline indicated.)
- Prior to the start of each quarter, log-on to TritonLink to view your student account information. Ensure the following items are completed:
- Confirm there are no holds on your account.
- Confirm tuition/fees have been charged for the new term.
- Confirm the sponsor fee credit has posted for the new term.
- Confirm your health insurance waiver is reflected for the term, if you submitted a health insurance waiver prior to the deadline and it was approved.
- Will appear as a payment, listed as "UG HEALTH INSUR WVR 2016-17" on your account activity.
- Confirm your student account balacnce is $0 and that any remaining balance is paid.
Financial Guarantee Letters supplied for Admission purposes are not acceptable for third-party billing purposes.
Tuition rates are available in the Tuition & Fee tab.
More information and resources for international sponsored students is provided by the International Students & Programs Office (ISPO website), as well as on the ISPO sponsored students page: http://ispo.ucsd.edu/sponsored-students/index.html