Athletics and Recreation
There's no excuse to be a couch potato at UCSD, with hundreds of opportunities to get moving through competitive and non-competitive sports — plus recreational activities and classes in over 100 sports facilities on campus.
UCSD sponsors 23 intercollegiate men's and women's sports at the NCAA Division II level. The Tritons compete primarily in California Collegiate Athletic Association, widely regarded as the premiere conference for D-II athletics.
UC San Diego has won a total of 29 national championships, 67 regional titles, and more than 75 conference championships.
- Visit Athletics for information about teams, schedules, ticket info, merchandise, and much more.
Opportunities abound for every student’s interest and ability level. See UC San Diego Recreation for details on:
- Aquatics — Lap swimming, swim classes, indoor and outdoor pools
- Intramural Sports — Over 30 different team sports, quarterly tournaments
- Masters Programs — Swimming, running, or triathlon workouts
- Mission Bay Aquatic Center — Sailing, windsurfing, rowing classes, plus other ocean sports at Mission Bay
- Outback Adventures — Day, weekend, or week-long outings to diverse locations; Wilderness Orientation program for incoming freshmen; challenge course for team-building groups; outdoor equipment rental; indoor climbing center
- Rec Classes — Over 300 noncredit instructional classes per quarter in aquatics, dance, martial arts, tennis, and more
- Recreation Clubs — Special interest activity clubs
- Sports Clubs — Competitive club teams in a variety of sports
- FitLife — Personal training, massage, and personal wellness group programs including cardio, fitness, pilates, yoga, and Walk UCSD: incentive-based program with online tracking
UCSD Sports Facilities works with Athletics, Recreation, student and staff organizations, and the community to maintain and schedule over 100 sports facilities — and to provide support services for special events that improve the quality of life on campus.
On-campus sports facilities include:
- RIMAC — Recreation IntraMural Athletic Complex
- 3 gymnasiums (RIMAC, Main Gym, and Rec Gym)
- 3 swimming pools
- Track and field complex
- Tennis/ handball courts
- Playing fields
- Conference rooms