UC San Diego SearchMenu

Fundraising Events for Outside Charities

Learn about student organization events that involve fundraising for an outside organization.

Before you submit your event on TAP, read about fundraisers for outside charities and the documents you might need.

First, get a letter from the charity you have chosen on official letterhead. The letter must include:

  • The charity's taxpayer ID number
  • The charity's confirmation of your organization's intent to raise money for it
Note: The use of funds being raised must be defined and consistent with the stated purpose of the sponsoring organization.

You must turn in a fundraising Income Report (PDF) to your advisor or to Student Life Business Operations within 14 days of your fundraising event.

Charitable raffles: Student organizations may conduct raffles if:

Co-sponsoring an event: If the charity is co-sponsoring the fundraiser, your organization must be responsible for coordinating logistics and "running" the event. Your organization is the event's campus sponsor. Otherwise, you must submit a Promoter's Agreement. Your advisor can help you with this.