Required: an official letter
First, get a letter from the charity you have chosen on official letterhead. The letter must include:
- The charity's taxpayer ID number
- The charity's confirmation of your organization's intent to raise money for it
Note: The use of funds being raised must be defined and consistent with the stated purpose of the sponsoring organization.
Student organizations may conduct raffles if:
- A minimum of 90% of gross receipts go directly to the charity or beneficiary
- The organization is located in California
- The funds raised will be used to support UC San Diego's mission
- The raffle is conducted in compliance with California law and University policies
If the charity is co-sponsoring the fundraiser, your organization must be responsible for coordinating logistics and "running" the event. Your organization is the event's campus sponsor. Otherwise, you must submit a Promoter's Agreement. Your advisor can help you with this.