Class of 2016: All-Campus Ceremony
Saturday, June 11 — 10 a.m., RIMAC Field
UC San Diego is reviving a time-honored tradition to celebrate and unify all graduates together. For the first time in 16 years, a campuswide commencement featuring an internationally-renowned speaker will be held in tandem with the undergraduate and graduate school ceremonies.
We invite all graduates, families and friends to attend both ceremonies to fully experience the pomp and circumstance, and joy and pride, that marks one of the most memorable times in a student’s life. This 2-part celebration will include the 90-minute All-Campus Commencement during which Chancellor Pradeep K. Khosla will officially confer degrees by academic division upon graduates gathered as one student body on RIMAC Field.
In addition, the six undergraduate colleges, Graduate Division and professional schools will host personalized graduation ceremonies for their students, where graduates will be recognized by name as they walk across the stage (see dates and times below). We can’t wait to celebrate with you!
Muhammad Yunus, Nobel Peace Prize recipient and founder of the global microfinance movement, will serve as UC San Diego’s All Campus Commencement keynote speaker. Yunus is known worldwide for pioneering the concept of microcredit, and for establishing the Grameen Bank to help impoverished people start their own businesses.
Apply to be the All-Campus Commencement Student Speaker
All undergraduate and graduate students receiving a UC San Diego degree in June 2016 are invited to apply and audition for the role of student speaker at this year’s All-Campus Commencement.
A panel of campus leaders will choose one student to deliver an inspirational message (up to 5 minutes) to fellow graduates on the event’s theme, Service to the Community and the World.
- Complete and submit the All-Campus Commencement Student Speaker Application (PDF).
- You're encouraged to include examples of your service in your application.
- Feb. 1 through March 18: Applications accepted; must be received by March 18.
- First 2 weeks of April: Student-speaker candidates who have been selected to move forward in the process will audition by presenting the 5-minute speech they hope to deliver at the All Campus Commencement. A campus-wide panel representing students, faculty, college and campus leadership will select the speaker.
- Mid-April: The student speaker will be announced.
College undergrad ceremonies
All undergraduate ceremonies are held at RIMAC Field. Link to each college's commencement details below, and contact your college for more information.
- Saturday, June 11
- Sunday, June 12
Graduate and professional school ceremonies
All ceremonies are held inside RIMAC Arena. Check back for more details as they're announced, or contact your school for more information:
- Graduate and professional school graduation ceremonies — Saturday, June 11, 1:30 p.m.
- Rady School of Management's MBA commencement ceremony — Sunday, June 12, 9 a.m.
- School of Global Policy and Strategy (GPS) — Sunday, June 12, 12:30 p.m.
- School of Medicine graduation events typically occur the first Sunday of June.
- Skaggs School of Pharmacy ceremonies are normally set on a Saturday in mid-May, with a celebration the Friday evening prior.
- Scripps Day and Scripps Institution of Oceanography commencement will be held in mid-June.
Events and celebrations
- Affinity graduations: Friday, June 10
More to be announced
Check back during winter and spring quarters to find:
- Links to additional graduation events and celebrations
- Details on how to order your cap and gown
- Guest information (where to stay, where to park, etc.)