How to Drop a Class (Graduate Students)
Grad students, follow the timeline and see the steps for dropping a class.
When do you want to drop a class? Choose from the list to see the appropriate steps:
- Use WebReg to drop the class. (You may not use WebReg to drop a class after the first 2 weeks of the quarter.)
- You may not drop below 12 units if you hold an appointment at 50% time or are receiving a fellowship, traineeship, or scholarship.
- If you are enrolled in fewer than 12 units, then you are eligible for a 25% time appointment at the discretion of your graduate department.
- If you want to drop a class after the end of Week 2, you must receive approval from both your advisor/ department and the Office of Graduate Studies.
- To drop a class, you must take your drop card to the Registrar's Office (map) for processing.
- If you drop a class by the end of Week 4, it will not appear on your transcript.
- If you drop a class after the end of Week 4, it will appear on your transcript with a "W" grade. A student may receive a maximum of one “W” per course.
Warning: Drops made after Week 2 are reviewed by the Office of Graduate Studies for potential impact on financial support.
- You are not permitted to drop a class after Week 9.
International Students: You must get approval to take fewer than 12 units. Contact the International Students & Programs Office, (858) 534-3730.