Definition: You are a half-time graduate student if you're approved to enroll for 6 units. You are considered less than half-time if you are enrolled below 6 units.
Eligibility and enrollment for half-time status
- You can be approved for half-time status for reasons of:
- Family responsibilities
- The Dean of Graduate Division grants approval to enroll as a half-time student.
Application and approval
- Apply for half-time status on the electronic Petition for Graduate Half-Time Study. (Please note, half time requests submitted through the Graduate General Petition will not be accepted.)
- Approval of half-time status continues each quarter, unless you enroll in more than six units.
- Application deadline:
- You must apply for half-time study by the end of Week 2, and get approval.
- If you've already paid full registration fees, you'll receive a refund of the overpayment within 30 days.
- If you haven't paid the registration fees for the quarter and you file the application after the fee-payment deadline, you will be charged late fees.
Note: If you're an international student, contact the International Student Office, (858) 534-3730 before you apply for half-time status.
Reduced fees and billing
If you have been approved for half-time study and are enrolled in 6 or fewer units at the end of Week 2, you are eligible for a reduction of:
- One-half of tuition (formerly Education Fee)
- One-half of nonresident supplemental tuition, if applicable
Half-Time fee table
|Mandatory Registration Fees||CA Resident||CA Non-Resident|
|UC System Fees|
|Nonresident Supplemental Tuition||$2,517.00|
|Student Services Fee||$358.00||$358.00|
|Tuition (formerly Education Fee)||$1,870.00||$1,870.00|
|UC San Diego Fees|
|Graduate Student Association Fee||$12.00||$12.00|
|University Center Fee||$93.12||$93.12|
Recreation Facility Fee
RIMAC Facility $85.00
Canyonview Facility $22.00
|Student Transportation Fee||$51.47||$51.47|
|Document Fee (Fall Quarter, one-time, newly admitted students)||$100.00||$100.00|
|2016-17 Quarterly Total||$3,773.59||$6,290.59|
*Health Insurance is required as a condition of enrollment. Students are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) however, students already covered by an insurance plan may qualify for a health fee waiver. Please see the Student Health Insurance Plan page for more information, including waiver criteria, submission process and deadline.
Change in status
- If you exceed 6 units, you will be billed for any balance of fees due. You must pay these fees before the end of Week 2 to avoid cancellation of your enrollment.
- Half-time status lapses if at any time you exceed 6 units. You must reapply to return to half-time status.
- If you make any adjustments to your schedule Weeks 2 through 4, please check your student account. If you see that you have been incorrectly assessed full-time tuition, please contact the Registrar's Office.
- Any adjustments made after Week 4 could result in assessment of full-time fees. Courses dropped with a "W" grade are included in total enrolled units.