How to Request/ Remove an Incomplete
If circumstances beyond your control prevent you from completing a class, you might be able to request an Incomplete (I).
- Make sure you're eligible for an Incomplete.
- If you're not passing a class because you've simply fallen behind,you're not eligible for an Incomplete. If you decide to withdraw from a class, you can do so until the end of the ninth week.
Read the Academic Senate policy on Incomplete grades. (PDF)
- Request an Incomplete.
The deadline for filing a request for an Incomplete shall be no later than the first working day after final examination week.
- Contact your instructor to find out if requesting an Incomplete is appropriate in your circumstances.
- Fill out your portion of the Request to Receive Grade Incomplete form, available at the department advising office.
- Take the form to your instructor, who will:
- Complete the instructor portion
- Indicate the work you must complete
- Provide you with a copy for your records
- If you can't complete the form because of illness, absence, or other circumstances, contact your instructor or department advisor for help.
- Make up (remove) the Incomplete.
Note: You do not need to re-enroll in the course.
- You must complete your work by the date given by your instructor. (This date can be no later than the last day of the next quarter's finals, excluding Summer Session.)
If you don't complete your work, you'll receive a permanent F, NP, or U for the class.
- The instructor will complete the appropriate paperwork, and the new grade will replace the Incomplete.
If you have questions, contact: