UC San Diego SearchMenu

How to Replace Your UCSD Student ID Card

Learn how to replace your UCSD Student ID Card.


To recover the costs to issue ID cards, the new campus card rate is $21.00 effective September 1, 2018. 

If you have found a Student ID Card, return it

  • In person:
    Student Services Center (map)
    Suite 354A
    • Business Hours as follows:
      • Monday-Wednesday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
      • Thursday: 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
      • Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
  • By mail:
    Campus Cards
    Student Financial Solutions
    9500 Gilman Dr. MC 0026
    La Jolla, CA 92093-0026

Find out how to replace your Student ID Card in the following situations:

Expand all

You Lost your Student ID Card

Contact the Campus Card Office by phone (858) 534-6606, e-mail, or by visiting the office (map) to see if the card was turned into the staff there (It may take up to 1 week for the card to be turned into the Campus Card Office).

  • If you have Dining Dollars or a Triton Cash account, you can get a temporary card that's valid for 1 week. Call Triton Card Accounts Services, (858) 534-7587, for more information.
  • If the card is not found, you can request a reprint. See instructions below.
  • You can suspend your account online or by calling Triton Card Accounts Services, (858) 534-7587, until you are able to replace your student ID card. Note: Be sure to report a lost or stolen Campus Card immediately. You are responsible for purchases if someone uses your card before you freeze your account.

Note: To avoid a situation where there is more than one ID card active at the same time, the Campus Cards Office cannot reactivate old ID cards. Instead of using using an old ID card, students will have to purchase a new ID card at the normal $21.00 cost. 

You Need to Replace your Lost Student ID Card

If you lost your student ID card, and need to request a new one, go to the Campus Card Office (map). Please bring another form of identification with you, if possible. 

  • Reprints cost $21.00. There will be a $21.00 charge placed on your student account when you visit the Campus Card Office to receive your new ID card. 
  • You can request to have a new picture taken any time you receive a replacement ID card. 
  • Once your new ID card is printed, you will need to visit the Reslife Office in your specific college in order to receive access to your dorm (if you live on-campus). 
  • Once your new ID card is printed, your old card can no longer be used to access your Dining Dollars or Triton Cash account. Any funds you previously had on your old ID card will be transferred to your new ID card, and will be available for use immediately. 
  • If you have a temporary Meal Card, you must return it to Triton Card Accounts Services in order to access your Dining Dollars, etc. with your new ID card. 

Your Student ID Card was Stolen

File a police report and get a copy of the report or the case number.

  • Go to the Campus Card Office (map) with the police report or case number.
  • You will receive a replacement card at no cost.
  • If you have Dining Dollars or a Triton Cash account, call Triton Card Accounts Services, (858) 534-7587, to report the theft and to suspend your account.

Your Student ID Card no Longer Works

Take the card to the Campus Card Office (map).

  • If the problem is due to normal wear and tear, the Campus Card Office will replace it free.
  • Normal wear and tear includes: 
    • Faded name
    • Faded photograph
    • Faded/damaged magnetic strip
  • Normal wear and tear DOES NOT include:
    • Snaps
    • Breaks
    • Hole punched in card
    • Note: ID cards which have been altered in any way (most notably via hole punched in card) cannot be replaced for free, regardless of other damage to the card. 
  • If you damaged your card, you'll need to pay $21.00 for a replacement ID card (see above).
  • Students must surrender their damaged/invalid ID card in order to receive a replacement ID card. The Campus Card office is responsible for proper disposal of ID cards which no longer work. Students are also only allowed to have ONE ID card at a time. 
  • If you're unable to gain access to a lab or building, check with the responsible department to make sure you are still authorized to use it. Have them test your card and attempt to re-encode it, if necessary.
      • If your ID card still does not work, bring it to the Campus Cards office for further testing. Depending on the error, you may or may not be charged the $21.00 replacement fee.
      • New ID cards will not have previous access coded on them. You must re-code ID cards for building or room access with same department who coded your previous ID cards. 

Note: Students are responsible for their ID cards. Please take care of them. The Campus Card Office will only replace ID cards for free if it is evident that the card is damaged through only normal wear and tear, and not through human error or carelessness. 

You Legally Changed your Name

File a Request for Name Change (PDF) with the Registrar's Office.

  • To obtain a new ID card, first take a valid form of Identification with your new name on it to the Registrar's Office.
  • Second, after 10 business days, visit the Campus Card Office, pay the $21.00 replacement fee (map) to get a new ID Card.

Note: The $21.00 replacement fee applies to any student who voluntarily changes their name. If the Registrar's Office inputs your name(s) incorrectly into the system, you can receive a replacement ID card at no cost. 

Expand all