UC San Diego SearchMenu

Changing Your Legal Name in University Records

Students, find out how to change your name on all of your university records after a legal name change.

To change your name (your student ID number will remain the same):

Expand all

Complete a change of name request

Fill out and sign a change of name request form (PDF). You can also use this form for name corrections.

Gather supporting documentation

The Registrar requires a copy of one of the following documents to change your name:

  • Court order
  • Naturalization certificate
  • Dissolution of marriage judgement with maiden name restored
  • Marriage certificate, license, certificate of confidential marriage, or certified abstract of marriage
  • Valid state-issued driver's license or ID card, Social Security card, or passport (all printed with new name)

Submit to Office of the Registrar

Submit your completed change of name form and required supporting documentation to the Office of the Registrar in person or by mail. Change of name petitions are processed as they are received. 

Notify others

It's your responsibility to notify other offices or university services of your name change. These can include your major department, university housing, or health insurance, for example.

Expand all

International Students: Contact the International Student Office, (858) 534-3730 before you change your name.