UC San Diego SearchMenu

Your Tax Identification Number

Learn why it's important for UCSD to have your correct Social Security number (SSN) or Individual Tax Identification number (ITIN).

The United States Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 requires educational institutions to obtain a valid Social Security number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification number (ITIN) from all U.S. citizens and permanent residents who file a U.S. tax return.

UC San Diego uses your SSN or ITIN to prepare and file the required 1098-T form with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) concerning your enrollment and the fees you pay each year.

If you don't provide one of these numbers to UCSD, the IRS may charge you a $100 penalty.

If you don't have a SSN or ITIN:

  1. Apply for a Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification number as soon as possible:
  2. Provide the Registrar with the number as soon as you receive it, using the form and instructions below.

If you're an international student:

  • You are not required to obtain a number or give it to UCSD if you're an international student (such as a student with an F1 or J1 visa) and:
    • You do not have income that is subject to U.S. tax or
    • You are not receiving any financial support, including university employment
  • If your parent is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and intends to use a tax deduction for educational expenses, you must have an ITIN and it must be on file with UCSD.
  • Read what the Social Security Administration says about international students and Social Security numbers (PDF).

To update your UCSD student record with your SSN/ ITIN:

  1. Complete only part 1 of the IRS W-9S form (PDF).
  2. Attach to the form the only acceptable documents:
    • A copy of your SSN / ITIN card and
    • A copy of your UCSD student ID
  3. Return the completed form and copies to the Registrar's Office in person or by U.S. Mail:
    • Do not use e-mail to send the form or your SSN/ ITIN! You should never send your SSN/ ITIN or any other important identifying information via e-mail.
    • In person: Deliver to the Office of the Registrar, Student Services Center 261 (2nd floor, near Croutons restaurant)
    • By U.S. Mail:
      UC San Diego - Office of the Registrar
      9500 Gilman Drive  #0022
      La Jolla, CA 92093-0022