UC San Diego SearchMenu

How to Change a Grading Option or Number of Units per Class (Undergraduates)

For undergraduates: Find out how to change the grading option or number of units for variable credit courses.

For Summer Session procedures, see the Summer Session website.

Facts about changes:

  • The last day to change a grading option or number of units is the Friday of Week 4 of classes.

Changing your grading option:

Before the quarter begins and through Week 4

  • Log onto WebReg and select the correct enrollment term.
  • On your list of enrolled classes, click the Change button next to the class you want to modify.
    • To change a grading option, select the radio button next to "Letter" or "Pass/ No Pass" to indicate your grading option choice.
    • To change number of units, if this option is available, click on the drop-down menu to select the number of units. (Note: Some classes do not have variable units. If the option is available, a drop-down menu will appear on the Change screen.)
  • Click Change again to confirm your edit.
  • Make sure you see a green confirmation message after you make the change.
  • Print the confirmation for your records.


If you do not see the green confirmation message, your transaction was not accepted.