About double majors
- You can count lower-division courses toward both majors.
- You can't choose two majors within the School of Engineering or within a single department.
Declare a double major
1. Make sure you meet the requirements.
- To declare a double major, you must:
- Have completed at least 90 units and no more than 135 units
- Have completed a majority of the prerequisites for both majors
- Be able to satisfy the requirements for BOTH majors, including 10 upper-division courses (40 units) unique to each major
- Be able to complete the 2 majors in no more than 240 units
- Meet with both departments or programs and your college to discuss your academic plan
Read the Academic Senate policy on double majors (A-3).
2. Obtain and complete a Double Major Petition.
3. Submit the petition.
4. Check the status of your petition.
- Pick up the student copy of the petition at your college academic advising office.
- Look in your Academic History to confirm that both majors appear online. Allow 5 working days for processing after approval by the college.