How to Declare or Change a Major (Undergraduates)
Last Updated: November 9, 2016 10:57:46 AM PST
If you're an undergraduate and you want to declare or change your major, follow the steps below.
About undergraduate majors
- Major requirements include both lower-division and upper-division courses. The requirements are determined by departments and programs, and will include at least 12 upper-division courses (48 units).
- You must declare a major before you complete 90 units. Warning: If you don't declare a major by the time you complete 90 units, you won't be allowed to enroll in additional classes.
Declare or change your major
First, select your major.
Complete the Undergraduate Declaration or Change of Major using the Major/Minor tool.
- Allow 3 to 5 business days if your major requires department approval.
Questions? Contact the appropriate resource:
- Your department
- Your college
- Registrar's Office,(858) 534-3144
- International Students, contact the International Student Office, (858) 534-3730 once your change in major has been approved.