UC San Diego SearchMenu

How to Declare or Change a Major (Undergraduates)

If you're an undergraduate and you want to declare or change your major, follow the steps below.

About undergraduate majors

  • Major requirements include both lower-division and upper-division courses. The requirements are determined by departments and programs, and will include at least 12 upper-division courses (48 units).
  • You must declare a major before you complete 90 units. Warning: If you don't declare a major by the time you complete 90 units, you won't be allowed to enroll in additional classes.

Declare or change your major

First, select your major.

Complete the Undergraduate Declaration or Change of Major using the Major/Minor tool.

  • Allow 3 to 5 business days if your major requires department approval.